Saturday 5 January 2008

Obama/Biden 2008? Obama/Edwards 2008? Obama/Clinton 2008?


Am I the only one who's excited about this possibility? I know, I know, I'm thinking way far out into the ether. First of all Barack Obama needs to actually win the nomination in order to pick a running mate, and after one caucus in which he picked up all of sixteen delegates it's a little premature to be kicking this around, but whatever, it's my soap box.

I like this team. I know that Biden made a...well...gaffe about Obama earlier in the year, and I'm not going to repeat it, but Obama 'forgave' him for the gaffe in one of the debates. But Obama needs experience to back him up so that he can push his change message as far as he can and fall back on 'Well my Vice President...' whenever he's overly criticised about foreign policy experience particularly.

Biden has been in the Senate since 1972. He's done about as much as he can and gone about as far as he can in the Senate hierarchy. I think that if he wants to move up, as his Presidential run would indiate, then the only avenue left to him may be the Vice Presidency, which is one way of boosting him in the next cycle to the a more serious run for the Presidency. Except for the fact that only two Vice Presidents have ever gone on to secure the Presidency off the back of their term as VP, but none of these VPs ever seem to take notice of that when they accept.




Another option, of course, is John Edwards. That's definitely a change ticket. Edwards and Obama, both pushing their messages of change, make for one loud and clear campaign promise - CHANGE IN WASHINGTON. He's Southern and provides a little geographic balance to the ticket, but that's a fairly old campaign trick that has never seemed to work. The one bad thing about this particular match-up is the experience thing. A half-term Senator and a one-term Senator. I've said before I don't think it matters, but it's definitely a campaign tool for the Republicans in the general. But this too is a comelling ticket I like the thought of.

And finally...


Nah, don't buy it. Stupid for both of them, I think. Either way round. The Vice Presidency, Cheney aside, is quite an unimportant role. And Clinton doesn't strike me as the kind of woman who sits in the passenger seat. Either she drives or that car doesn't move. Plus she'd do better in the Senate, and would have a better opportunity of running again for the Presidency from outside the White House, rather than from within.

No comments: